Governance, policy, regulation and structure settings are important elements that enable the water sector to achieve the desired outcomes at a customer, industry and organisation level. The following questions are some of the areas we would like to explore.
1. How can we implement best practice outcomes based on policy and regulation?
2. How do we enable the sector to recognise and work with complexity?
3. How can we prioritise spending across multiple government sectors/agencies to get the best outcomes for the community, economy and environment?
4. How can we best facilitate efficient competition in the water sector (e.g. legislative frameworks, regulatory models, pricing decisions)?
5. What role is the private sector playing and how can this be optimised in partnership with utilities and government sector?
6. What can we do to incentivise innovation in the industry?
7. How do we work within the balance of regulatory requirements and customers’ expectations relating to affordability?
8. How can the water industry support improved productivity of water use?
9. How can regulations reconcile reduced customer water demand and utility commercial outcomes?
10. Natural capital accounting – are water businesses incorporating this into future investment decisions?
11. How should liveability outcomes be built into future policy and regulation?
12. What are organisations doing to commit to the Sustainable Development Goals?